Last Updated on May 19, 2022
These smoky barbecue roasted potatoes are called chips across the pond. These are easy to make on your grill. They are perfect for Memorial Day, the 4th of July, or that last Labor Day barbecue. Go out, get some potatoes, and get crackin’!
Many of us are familiar with the scene in The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers:
- What’s it doing?! Stupid, fat hobbit! You ruins it!
- What’s to ruin? There was hardly any meat on them. What we need is a few good taters.
- What’s “taters”, precious? What’s “taters”, eh?
- Po-tay-toes! Boil em, mash em, stick em in a stew. Lovely big golden chips with a nice piece of fried fish.
- Even you couldn’t say no to that.
- Oh yes, we could! Spoiling nice fish! Give it to us raw, and wriggling! You keep nasty chips!
- …You’re hopeless.
Well, Sam, I think even Smeagol couldn’t resist these barbecued chips along with his fish. Maybe he’d even like our smoked salmon! You could easily put these potatoes in before the salmon and have quite the feast. But, here, I’m going to talk about how to make them on a regular barbecue.
Potatoes for BBQ Chips
You want to use a firm potato like a russet. That kind of potato will make a nice, fluffy inside and a crisp outside. It’s up to you if you want to peel these or not. If you don’t peel them, you will get a lot more vitamins and nutrients. It’s up to you.
You will want to use the Indirect method on your grill. That means putting the food so it is not directly over the flame. If they are too close to the flame, they will burn, and no one, not even Smeagol likes burned BBQ chips.
- 4 baking potatoes
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Rosemary, chopped
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, Freshly cracked
- 4 baking potatoesCut the potatoes into even wedges, about 1 inch thick at their thickest point.
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt, 1 tablespoon Fresh Rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon black pepperPut the potatoes in a large bowl and add the remaining ingredients. Stir well to coat.
- Have the BBQ ready and roast the potatoes using the indirect method.
- They should be done in about an hour.