We made this Veal Marsala skinny by using an air fryer instead of cooking the veal in fat. If you don’t want to use veal, feel free to use thinly sliced chicken breast. This recipe comes in at 472 grams per serving of 553 calories with the pasta, 358 grams per serving at 405 calories without the pasta. Enjoy this with a green salad and white wine.
I have always loved Veal Marsala. When I originally made this dish, I used the recipe in The Mafia Cookbook by Joseph “Joe Dogs” Iannuzzi, which has great recipes accompanied by Joe’s stories of being a cook for The Mob. The book is fun for the stories and the recipes – highly recommended. Recently, I started looking at my fat intake and decided this wonderful recipe needed some fat reduction. Along comes the air fryer to cook the veal instead of cooking it in fat. Bang! Skinny Veal Marsala – fewer calories with all the flavor.
Don’t want to use Veal for Skinny Veal Marsala?
If you don’t want to use veal, please feel free to use thin slices of raw chicken breast instead. I know a lot of people don’t want to eat veal for various reasons and I can understand that. Veal is very lean meat, but it’s not cheap. There are also ethical reasons why people don’t want to eat veal and there are explanations for why you should consider it. Please make your own decision. Regardless, this is a tasty dish and isn’t going to ruin a recommended amount of daily calories.
The other ingredients used, crystalized lemon and crystallized orange, are great because you can always have them on hand in your pantry and not worry about them going bad. Please don’t use bottled lemon juice – use fresh lemon juice from a lemon if you don’t have the crystallized lemon.
If you purchase any of the products through these affiliate links, I get a few pennies that help keep The Good Plate open. I use these products myself and want you to be able to easily find them.
~~ -- For the Scallopini -- ~~
- ¼ cup Flour
- 24 ounce Veal, scallopini cut
~~ -- For the Mushrooms -- ~~
- 1 pound Mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon Shallots in Oil
- 1 tablespoon Sherry
- Mise en place
- Use a toothpick to punch holes in parchment paper cut to fit a rack in your air fryer. Put prepared parchment paper on the rack of the air fryer.
- 24 ounce VealPound the cutlets until they are very thin. Wipe them with a paper towel.
- 1/4 cup FlourPut some flour on a plate. Dip each cutlet in the flour and shake off excess. Put the flour on a plate you can use the bread the veal with. Put the cutlets on the parchment paper and put them in the air fryer.
- Set the air fryer to 350 F / 176 C for 6 minutes. Turn at the 3-minute mark. Leave the cutlets in the air fryer while you make the sauce.
- 1 pound Mushrooms, 1 tablespoon Shallots in Oil, 1 tablespoon SherryPut the shallots in oil in a saute pan. Let the shallots get translucent then add the sliced mushrooms. When the mushrooms have started to brown, add the sherry.
- Set aside.
- 1 tablespoon Ghee, 1 tablespoon FlourTo make the sauce, melt the ghee and add the flour. Whisk it until the mixture turns white.
- 1/2 teaspoon True Lemon, 1 packet True orange, 1/4 teaspoon White pepper, 3/4 cup MarsalaMix until the lemon juice and marsala in. Add the packet of crystalized orange and white pepper. Taste for seasoning. Continue to stir until the sauce has thickened.
- Add the mushrooms to the sauce and stir to combine.
- Add the veal to the pan and flip on both sides so it gets sauced.
- Serve on a platter with the mushroom sauce poured over it. You can serve it over pasta as I did if you wish. Enjoy!