I love it when the supermarket puts a large box of whole mushrooms on Manager’s Special. I take them home and make something out of them, this time Manicotti Stuffed with Cream Cheese, Spinach and Pine-nuts. When I opened my refrigerator this afternoon, I realized I had a lot of mushrooms left over, and what could I do with an almost whole box of mushrooms? Mushroom soup seemed like the perfect thing on a cold, winter day.
Some of you are probably saying “Ew! That’s the stuff you make casseroles out of, you don’t actually EAT that!” Well, that’s true. I would never have a bowl of that canned stuff, it’s only good for a few casserole dishes, and then that’s doubtful, too – now that I made this glorious mushroom soup.
This is probably one of the easiest soups you will ever make. When mushrooms go on sale at your grocery store, get a whole bunch of them, and share this wonderful soup.
If you purchase any of the products through these affiliate links, I get a few pennies that help keep The Good Plate open. I use these products myself and want you to be able to easily find them.
- 2 cups whole mushroomsI didn't feel like standing there chopping the mushrooms by hand, so I put them in the food processor and processed them until they were minced.
- Whichever you decide to do, the mushrooms should be in very small pieces.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, 2 tablespoons Shallots in OilMelt the butter in a large sauté pan. Add the shallots in oil, and cook until the shallots have become translucent.
- Add the mushrooms, and cook them down until they have softened.
- 2 tablespoons sherryAdd the sherry, and let it cook down until the mushrooms have released some of their juices.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable baseAdd the vegetable base and mix it in with the mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons flourDrizzle the flour over the mushroom mixture, and mix it in well.
- 2 cups milkAdd the milk, and stir until the mixture thickens.
- Continue to cook on very low heat for about 20 minutes. If the soup is too thick, add a little more milk.
- Put the soup into a nice tureen. We had grilled cheese sandwiches with our soup.