This spicy Instant Pot Jambalaya is quick and easy to make, perfect for a work night meal. Make it how you like it and serve it with a nice salad. Dinner? Done!
Jambalaya has always been an easy and thrifty dish for me to make. I’ve made it on my stovetop in my Jambalaya in my Nesco Roaster when I was feeding a lot of people. The spice is the most important part and that can go from mild to as hot as you want it.
I usually make mine with sausage, but if you like seafood, you could use shrimp, crab, or lobster. It’s good with cooked chicken in it – use up that rotisserie chicken you bought at the store. That’s the most wonderful part about this dish, it’s great for using up leftovers. I’ve made it with sausage, shrimp, and leftover chicken.
Jambalaya in the Instant Pot
Using the Instant Pot to make this is a game-changer. Seriously, plop everything in the pot, close it, set it, and forget it. Dinner is ready in 20 minutes! If you chop your aromatic vegetables the night before, you can put them in the refrigerator and have them ready when you are ready to cook. I like to saute them aromatics before I put in the rice, so that adds, what? Another 5 minutes? I can live with that.
Spice Mix for Instant Pot Jambalaya
Usually, I make enough to last for two or three different meals and keep the spice mix in little empty pimento jars. I like pimentos, so I usually have an empty jar or two to put spice mixes in. I recommend white pepper for its spiciness, as well as the old standbys cayenne and paprika. If you are very brave, you can add habanero. A good friend turned me on to Fresh Jax Peppered Habanero. The stuff is mind-blowingly good.
~~ — For the Spice Mix — ~~
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ¾ teaspoon Black pepper, freshly ground
- ¾ teaspoon white pepper
~~ For the Jambalaya ~~
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- ¼ cup celery, chopped
- ½ cup sweet bell peppers, chopped
- 1 10 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 ½ teaspoon chicken base
- 1 ½ cup water
- 1 ½ cup rice
- 1 tablespoon spice mix, above
- 4 Habanero Green Chili Sausages, sliced
- ¼ cup sour cream , for garnish
- Mise en Place
- 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, 2 tablespoons paprika, 1 teaspoon oregano, 3/4 teaspoon Black pepper, 3/4 teaspoon white pepperMix the spices and store them in a cool, dry place away from light.
- 1 tablespoon butter, 1 clove garlic, 1 onion, 1/4 cup celery, 1/2 cup sweet bell peppersPut the inner pot on the stovetop. For other Instant Pots, put the pot on Saute. Melt the butter. Saute the onion, celery, and red pepper until the onion is translucent. Add the garlic and saute for a few minutes.
- 1 10 ounce can diced tomatoesDrain the tomatoes into a measuring cup. Set the tomatoes aside.
- 1 1/2 cup waterAdd enough hot water to the tomato juice to make up 1 1/2 cup of liquid.
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chicken baseAdd the chicken base to the liquid, and stir to combine. Set aside.
- 1 1/2 cup rice, 1 tablespoon spice mixAdd the seasoning and the rice. Stir to coat the rice with spice and vegetables.
- 4 Habanero Green Chili SausagesAdd the tomatoes, liquid, and sausage.
- Set the Instant Pot for Rice, White Rice, or 12 minutes on low. Use Natural Release for about 10 minutes, then quick release. Fluff and serve.
- 1/4 cup sour creamServe with a dollop of sour cream for garnish.