Last Updated on December 20, 2020
Recipes in this Post
A lot of people don’t like meatloaf. I don’t blame them, I hated meatloaf as a child because it was bland and the only thing that was even a tiny bit tasty was the dried ketchup on the top. That all changed when I went to dinner with a friend who raved about the meatloaf and Cowboy salad. I tried it, and I was a convert.
What made this meatloaf different was that it was spicy, and it had little pieces of vegetable inside. I loved it. The restaurant is long gone, but the meatloaf is here to stay.
Of course, the best thing about meatloaf is the sandwiches the next day. Some people heat up the meatloaf, some people, like me, do not. For me, there’s nothing better than a thick slice of cold meatloaf on a slice of crusty sourdough bread, slathered with mayonnaise.
Three Pepper Spicy Meatloaf
The reason this meatloaf is called Three Pepper Meatloaf is that there are three different types of pepper used to make it. One if for heat, one for depth, and one for presentation.
Meatloaf is so much better with a mixture of meats. I always use lean ground beef and lean ground pork.
Let’s Make Meatloaf!
- 1 pound Ground beef
- 1 pound Ground Pork
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Onion; chopped
- 1 Green Bell pepper; chopped
- 1 Chipotle chili, canned in Adobo sauce; minced
- 1 tablespoon Armenian Red Pepper Sauce
- 1 cup Bread crumbs
- ½ cup Milk
- 1 tablespoon Tomato paste
- If you have a small Nesco, remove the rack from the roasting pan. Cover the rack with foil then punch some little holes in it with a toothpick. Remove the roasting pan and preheat the Nesco to 325.
- If you don't have a Nesco, then line a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan with foil.
- Pre-heat oven to 325.
- The best tool for mixing is a stand mixer, but if you don't have one, then use a very large bowl and extra clean hands.
- Make sure that you mix all the ingredients together but be careful not to overwork the meat, otherwise, it will be tough.
- Remove the loaf from the mixing bowl and place it in the roasting pan. Use a spatula to shape it into a rectangle.
- At this point, you can put ketchup on the top if desired.
- Cook about an hour or until it reaches 160 on a thermometer. Remove from the oven and let rest for at least 5 minutes before serving.
The best way to cook meatloaf is in a Nesco. It cooks evenly without drying out.
If you are craving meatloaf in the summer, fire up the Weber and cook the meatloaf using the indirect method. You'll have a smoky, spicy meatloaf that is out of this world!
You can add a chopped carrot for extra flavor. If you think the meatloaf will be too spicy, reduce the Chipotle to 1/2 pepper instead of a whole one.
I have recently seen many versions of Cowboy Salad, and none of them are quite the same as the one we used to get at that restaurant in Beverly Hills. The restaurant’s salad was made with iceberg lettuce, and that is how I usually make it – but this time all the iceberg lettuce was all wilted, so I got romaine hearts instead. This is a very simple salad that you can serve any time of year.
For the Salad
- I head iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 1 to mato, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
For the Dressing
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Mix the vegetables together and put them in a nice serving dish. You can refrigerate them until ready to serve. To make the dressing, simply mix all the ingredients together.
- Toss the vegetables with the dressing just before serving.
Try to chop the vegetables to be about the same size,
I don’t get any compensation for these links, just thought you would like to know where to get these things.
Pingback: Village Greek Salad :: In The Devil's Kitchen
Thanks for lunch!
I agree… 100% thanks