Last Updated on November 17, 2019
You can make this same day fried rice with packaged prepared rice. If you don’t already have leftover or day-old rice, this is the way to go. It’s fast, easy, and you a great way to use up little bits of leftovers you have in your refrigerator.
I love fried rice! Plain rice at the Chinese restaurant just doesn’t thrill me as much as fried rice, with all the goodies. If you get the Yang Chow fried rice, it comes with chicken, pork, beef and sometimes, shrimp. It’s my favorite, and quite often, all I will get because it is a meal in itself.
The secret to good fried rice is using day-old rice. The reason you have to use leftover rice is that the rice has dried out enough so that it will absorb all the flavors. That is why if you have tried to make fried rice with just cooked rice, it just turned out flavorless. So you have to make extra rice if you want fried rice the next day. That means rice twice in a row, and either I don’t make enough, or I just don’t want it twice in a row. This is a problem, but I have found a solution.
The solution is to use pre-cooked rice that comes in a bag. Uncle Ben’s makes one, and it works perfectly. That way, you can have fried rice any time you want to, as long as you have the pre-cooked rice on hand, you’re good to go.
- 1 package pre-cooked rice
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 slivers candied ginger, minced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp slivered almonds
- 1 cup frozen or fresh peas
- 1 egg mixed with 1 tbsp water, stirred
- Put the oils in the bottom of a wok on high heat.
- Saute the onion and garlic, then add the ginger, and saute.
- Add the almonds and saute.
- Add the rice and break up. A potato masher does a good job of this.
- Add the peas and saute.
- Add the soy sauce, saute and taste. Add more if necessary.
- Push the rice aside to leave room to cook the egg.
- Put the egg in the wok, and cook, stirring constantly.
- When the egg is done, break it up into the rice, and stir.
- Serve and enjoy!