Barbecued Chinese Roast Pork is easy to make in your oven and features Asian flavors. Serve it with fried rice and your favorite vegetables.
This roast is so easy to make in your oven. Simply remove any excess fat from a large, boneless loin of pork, score it, put sauce on it and roast it. It comes out sweet and smoky.
Loin of pork is a nice cut if you want to reduce fat intake. It’s very lean, but you might still find fat on the outside. Use a sharp boning knife to remove the fat you don’t want. If you are okay with the fat or enjoy crisp fat, then leave the fat on.
Pork should be cooked to between 145°F / 62°C (medium-rare) to 160°F / 71°C (well-done), depending on how you like it. You don’t have to cook pork to death. It should still be a little pink inside, which would be medium-rare. The USDA, which used to recommend well-done now recommends medium-rare with a 3 minute rest time. That’s good news. No one liked nasty dried-out, tasteless pork!
What to serve with Chinese Roast Pork
I like to serve Same Day Fried Rice and Asian Roasted Vegetables with this.
The Same Day Fried Rice is very easy to prepare. If you have leftover pork, save it to make more fried rice at a later time. Pork freezes very well.
The roasted vegetables are a take-off on the Fire Roasted Balsamic vegetables that Trader Joe’s used to have. You can put the sheet pan with the vegetables on the second rack in your oven.
If you purchase any of the products through these affiliate links, I get a few pennies that help keep The Good Plate open. I use these products myself and want you to be able to easily find them.
- 4 pounds boneless pork roast
- 1 cup Hoisin sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon ginger, freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon toasted sesame seed oil
- ⅛ teaspoon Liquid Smoke, optional
- Mise en place
- 1 cup Hoisin sauce, 1 cup ketchup, 1 tablespoon ginger, 1 teaspoon rice vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame seed oil, 1/8 teaspoon Liquid SmokeMix the sauce ingredients together and set them aside.
- 4 pounds boneless pork roastTrim the pork of any fat you don't want then score it about 3 or 4 times.
- Paint the roast with some of the sauce.
- Line the bottom of a sheet pan with foil and set the rack on top of the foil.
- Put the roast on a rack in the sheet pan and roast at 350°F/ 176°C until the meat reaches 145°F/ 62°C on an instant-read thermometer, about 1 hour.
- To serve, remove from the oven, and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Carve, and put on the nice dish, garnish with chopped cilantro and spring onions.