Grapefruit Beet Salad is a composed salad that is hearty enough to serve by itself with some crusty bread. Want it vegan? Omit the cheese and roast beef.
This salad has everything in it that I really love. I was inspired by someone in my Facebook New York Times Cooking Community group who also loves grapefruit and beets. It should be served very cold for the best flavor.
Grapefruit and Beet Salad – The Grapefruit
I don’t know about you, but ever since I was a little girl, I’ve always liked pink or, better yet, red grapefruit because of its sweetness. My only complaint about grapefruits was getting the wedges out of the fruit without making a mess.
My mother had a grapefruit knife. All it ever did was stab her as she tried to get the pieces out nicely. There was also a grapefruit spoon that was supposed to help you eat the grapefruit. It never worked very well for me. I even remember my mother having a special spoon with teeth on it to get the grapefruit flesh out – I don’t have to tell how that failed, do I?
Enter the Grapefruiter from Chef’n. This tool makes it very easy to get the grapefruit out without making a mess or hurting yourself. Chef’n makes a great tools for your kitchen, and I have a lot of them, including this one. If you like grapefruit, you’ll love this tool.
Make it Vegan
When I made this salad, I happened to have some leftover Sous Vide Roast Beef, and I had a bit of crumbled blue cheese in my cheese drawer. Blue cheese and beef go together very well, so I included them. However, if you want to make your salad vegan, feel free to leave them out.
- 1 head Romain lettuce, torn
- 1 Grapefruit, peeled and seeded
- 1 Beet, julienned
- ¼ pound Roast beef, cut
- ¼ cup Blue Cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup pecans
- ½ cup Cherries, not stemmed or pitted
- 1 Tomato, sliced
- ¼ cup Girard's Raspberry Vinaigrette
- Using a large salad bowl, or large pasta bowl, lay the torn lettuce in a daisy pattern.
- Alternate grapefruit sections and beets on the middle ring on top of the lettuce. On top of each beet portion goes a slice of roast. On top of each grapefruit section with a cherry. Put a bit of crumbled cheese on top of each piece of beef. Put a pecan on top of each cherry.
- For the center of the salad, lay the rest of the beef, top if with the sliced tomato, cherries, and pecans.
- Present the salad, then toss with dressing and serve.