One of the reasons artichokes are not that popular is they take a long time to cook on the stovetop. Well, there are easier ways. In this recipe, I offer two ways to have artichokes on the table quickly, either microwave artichokes or if you have one use the Instant Pot.
Spane really likes artichoke heart salad, so I thought it was time for him to try a real artichoke. The problem is A) I don’t have a large pot and B) I really don’t want to heat up my kitchen by putting something on the stovetop to cook for that length of time. What to do?
Well, microwave artichokes, of course! I prepare my artichokes as I would for normal steaming by cutting the tips off the outer leaves, and actually cutting about an inch off the top to make a nice presentation. I removed the stem to cook in the water. Then they’re ready for their quick trip in the microwave, followed by the refreshing cold of the refrigerator, and waiting to be presented at the dinner table with some nice herb dipping sauce.
Instant Pot Artichoke
Update: Now that I have an Instant Pot, the game has changed. The Instant Pot is super quick and does a better job, in my opinion. If I had to give just one reason why you should have an Instant Pot, this is it. You can make the best artichokes in about 20 minutes, including getting to pressure. All you have to go is chill them to enjoy them with this sauce, serve them with clarified butter – or these are just so tasty, just by themselves.
So, no matter whether you want to microwave artichoke or put it in the Instant Pot, enjoy it!
Here without further ado, is the recipe. Please enjoy!
If you purchase any of the products through these affiliate links, I get a few pennies that help keep The Good Plate open. I use these products myself and want you to be able to easily find them.
- 2 artichokes, leaves trimmed
- 1 cup water
For the Microwave
- 1 teaspoon malt vinegar
For Instant Pot
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, broken up
For the Sauce
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon freeze-dried or fresh poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon freeze-dried or fresh chives, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Vegetable base
- ½ teaspoon White Worcestershire sauce
- Prepare the artichokes by clipping off the top of the leaves, and cutting off the first inch of the vegetable. See the picture.
For the Microwave
- Put the artichokes in a large microwave safe bowl, preferably one with a lid. Add the vinegar and salt. Cover, put in the microwave and cook on high about 12-15 minutes. You can tell the artichokes are done when a leaf comes away easily. Let stand in the microwave until the container is cool enough to handle, then place in the refrigerator and chill at least 2 hours.
For the Instant Pot
- Put the artichokes in a steamer basket or on the included trivet. Add a cup of water. Add the bay leaf. Break the garlic clove into a few pieces with your hands or a knife. Add that to the pot and seal the lid. Set the Instant Pot for 9 minutes and use the Quick Release method when they are done.
For the Sauce
- In the meantime, prepare the sauce by combining the remaining ingredients together in a medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate.
- Serve the artichokes and sauce together with a large bowl for the discarded leaves. Enjoy!