For wing lovers, if you like Buffalo wings made with chicken, you will love these because these Buffalo Turkey Wings have more wing!
Why Buffalo Turkey Wings?
For those of us who really like Buffalo wings made from chicken, it seems there are never enough wings. Chicken wings are tiny compared to turkey wings. Turkey wings have a lot of flavor on their own, just as chicken wings do, But they’re bigger! A LOT bigger. They are so big that one wing will serve two people.
You might decide to cut the wings off if you are deboning a turkey. This is a wonderful use for them.
Spices to use
One of the problems with traditional wing sauce is it has a lot of butter. All the butter is not good if you are trying to stay away from fats. Well, Frank’s Red Hot Sauce people came up with a spice blend, Franks’s Red Hot Spice Blend, that you can shake on your food without all the fat. It easily mimics the liquid sauce. You can probably find it in your grocer’s spice section or you can check Amazon as well.
The other spice I used is Peppered Habanero from Fresh Jax. It is very spicy. My friend, Nora from Milano Courier, turned me on to this spice. Use it sparingly if you are sensitive to spicy food. It complements and enhances Frank’s Red Hot Spice Blend very well.
Use an Air Fryer
By using an air fryer, you are really reducing the fat and calories. You still get nice, crispy skin and tender meat. My air fryer, the GoWise Rotisserie Roaster Air Fryer, comes with a cage to put the wings in so they slowly turn while they are cooking. They cook perfectly.
What to serve with the wings
You can serve the traditional sides, celery, carrots, and blue cheese dressing. It would go nicely with a big garden salad, maybe roasted potatoes. Because you are not eating as many calories, you can have a beer to go with it.
~~ — Serving — ~~
- ¼ cup Mayonnaise
- ½ cup Sour cream
- 2 tablespoon Blue cheese
- ⅛ teaspoon Bitters
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 cups Celery stalks
- Mise En Place
- 2 cups Celery stalksHave everything for the wings and dressing in place. Peel the celery and cut it into stalks.
Make the Dressing
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise, 1/2 cup Sour cream, 2 tablespoon Blue cheese, 1/8 teaspoon Bitters, 1 teaspoon Black pepperCombine the mayonnaise, sour cream, blue cheese, black pepper, and bitters in the small bowl of the food processor. Process until the cheese is very small. Remove the dressing from the processor and put it in a small bowl. Refrigerate it.
For the Wings
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil, 2 Turkey wingsBrush the wings with olive oil.
- 2 tablespoon Frank’s Red Hot Seasoning BlendSprinkle Frank's Red Hot Original Seasoning Blend on both sides generously.
- 1/2 teaspoon Fresh Jax Peppered Habanero SpiceSprinkle the wings with the Fresh Jax Habanero Pepper. If you are sensitive to spicy food, you can omit this. It's HOT stuff.
- If your air fryer has a drum, use that. Otherwise, line the drawer with parchment and remember to shake them during cooking. Cook the wings at 350°F / 176°C for 20 minutes. Check with an instant-read thermometer. Continue to cook until the wings reach 160°F / 71°C.
- Let the wings rest for about 10 minutes then put on a serving platter with the celery and dressing. Enjoy!