Asian Beef short ribs are easy to make in your Instant Pot and Dutch oven in about an hour Enjoy them with rice and your favorite vegetables.
The ribs used here are boneless beef short ribs, not bone-in beef ribs. Short ribs are not tender and must be braised to loosen the muscles. You can braise them in a Dutch oven, which will take several hours, or in the Instant Pot. Using the Instant Pot shaves off at least two hours. You can make this for dinner on a worknight!
Each person should get two ribs, which is about a 1/4 of a pound, depending on the size of the ribs available. These ribs are very good; you might want seconds, so splurge and get more!
These very flavorful ribs become tender in your Instant Pot. I like to use both an Instant Pot and a dutch oven to make this, but if you don’t have a dutch oven, you can make this entire recipe in your Instant Pot.
Asian Beef Short Rib Ingredients
The ribs are rubbed with an Asian rub that includes Szechuan Peppercorns. If you have never had them, they are quite the treat. Unlike chili peppers, their heat numbs your tongue for a few seconds while you taste their sweet flavor. You can find Szechuan Peppercorns at Penzey’s or Asian markets. You can omit them if you can’t find them, but you will miss out on some of the flavor.
The other ingredient I want to mention is Cooking Sherry. It’s an excellent substitute for Shaoxing Wine. Of course, if you have Shaoxing Wine, please use it. I don’t recommend spending a lot of money on dry sherry for this, just use cooking sherry. Mushrooms do very well with cooking sherry, too, so if you like sauteed mushrooms, you will be glad you bought some.
What to Serve with Ribs
I like to serve these ribs with Same-Day Fried Rice and steamed broccoli. You can steam the broccoli in your Instant Pot, too.
You are welcome to serve them with whatever vegetables you like; I know some of you don’t like broccoli.
If you purchase any of the products through these affiliate links, I get a few pennies that help keep The Good Plate open. I use these products myself and want you to be able to easily find them.
- 1 pound Beef short ribs
~~ — Spice Rub — ~~
~~ — Aromatics — ~~
- 1 teaspoon Peanut oil, or avocado oil
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 Bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, chopped
~~ — Braising Liquid — ~~
- 1 cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Ginger, fresh, grated
- 1 tablespoon Sherry
- 1 teaspoon Beef base
- ½ teaspoon Rice vinegar
~~ — Cornstarch Slurry — ~~
- ¼ cup Cornstarch
- ½ cup Water
- 2 tablespoon Soy sauce
- ¼ cup Brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Sesame Oil, toasted
- 1 teaspoon Chili flakes, crushed
- 1 teaspoons sesame seeds
- ¼ cup green onions, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon Szechuan Peppercorns, 1/4 teaspoon Anise seed, 1/2 teaspoon Garlic powder, 1 teaspoon Ground ginger, 1/2 teaspoon Coriander, 1/2 teaspoon White pepper, 1 tablespoon Brown sugar, 1 pound Beef short ribsMix the spice ingredients together using a mortar and pestle. Rub the ribs thoroughly with the mixture and set them aside for about 15 minutes.
- 1 teaspoon Peanut oil, 1 Onion, 1 Bell pepper, 2 cloves Garlic, 1 teaspoon GingerWhile that is happening, heat the dutch oven and add the oil. Next, add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, and ginger and saute them until the onion is translucent.
- Add the ribs to the pot and saute them on all sides. Remove them from the dutch oven and set the vegetables aside.
- 1 cup Water, 1 tablespoon Sherry, 1 teaspoon Beef base, 1/2 teaspoon Rice vinegarAdd the ribs to the Instant Pot. Mix the braising liquid ingredients and pour that over the ribs.
- Set the IP for 50 minutes, then use natural release for 10 minutes and quick release for any remaining pressure.
- Put the Dutch oven with the vegetables in it back on the stove. Add the ribs and the liquid from the Instant Pot.
- 1/4 cup Cornstarch, 1/2 cup Water, 2 tablespoon Soy sauce, 1/4 cup Brown sugar, 1 teaspoon Sesame Oil, 1 teaspoon Chili flakesMix the slurry ingredients together and add that to the ribs. Taste for seasoning.
- Stir until the mixture has thickened.
- 1 teaspoons sesame seeds, 1/4 cup green onionsGarnish the ribs with sesame seeds and sliced green onions. Serve with rice and your favorite vegetables.
Good afternoon and welcome to The Good Plate’s kitchen.
I’m Adrienne Boswell.
Today we’re making Asian
beef short ribs.
You will need an instant pot and a Dutch oven.
Mix the spices together in a small bowl.
Rub the ribs thoroughly
with the spice mixture.
Let the ribs sit for about fifteen minutes.
While that’s happening
in a Dutch oven.
We have onion,
garlic, and bell pepper.
Brown the vegetables then
add the short ribs.
Brown the short ribs on all sides and then put them in your Instant Pot.
Mixed a liquid ingredients and pour the liquid
over the ribs in the Instant Pot
Set the Instant Pot on high for fifty minutes.
Let the IP
slow release for ten minutes the quick release.
Mix the sauce ingredients together
and set that aside.
Put the ribs in the Dutch oven with the sauce and stir until the sauce thickens.
Serve the ribs with racing your favorite vegetables.
Ingredient amounts and directions are on the website
Thank you for watching
and see you next time
on The Good Plate.