Last Updated on December 6, 2022
Savory Waffle Croque Monsieur with ham and Mornay sauce is perfect for brunch or a light dinner. Enjoy them with fresh fruit or a small salad. White wine would go perfectly with it.
This is one of those dishes I threw together, and was very surprised at how tasty it was. These are savory waffles made with sourdough starter and no sugar. The other secret ingredient is the wonderful Justice from Penzey’s. Seriously, everything needs a little Justice, right?
Waffles done correctly require beaten egg whites. A stand mixer is too big for a couple of egg whites, but a hand-held eggbeater does the perfect job. A hand-held mixer will also be fine, but if you don’t feel like hauling it out and want a little workout, use an egg beater. You could also make this with buttermilk, as I did with the Buttermilk Waffles with Strawberry Sauce.
These waffles turn out light as feathers, and one of the reasons they are so light is that they are made with sourdough starter. You can use sourdough discard or freshly fed starter, whichever you happen to have on hand. If you don’t have any starter, then add 1 cup of flour and 1/2 cup of water.
The Croque Monsieur
So what we are doing here is substituting a savory waffle for bread. This sandwich is rich, and two waffles will easily serve four people with a salad. Make it tastier by grilling the ham before you assemble it into a sandwich.
~~ — Mornay Sauce — ~~
- 2 teaspoon Flour
- 2 teaspoon Butter
- 1 cup Milk
- ¼ teaspoon Dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- ¼ cup Swiss , shredded
- 2 slices Ham
- ⅛ teaspoon Cayenne
- Turn the waffle iron on high.
- 1 cup Sourdough starter, 1/2 cup Flour, 1/2 cup Milk, 2 teaspoon Baking powder, 2 Egg yolk, 4 tablespoon Ghee, 2 teaspoon Butter Powder, 1/2 teaspoon Justice, 1 teaspoon Salt, 1/2 teaspoon Black pepperPut the flour, starter, milk, baking powder, egg yolk, ghee, butter powder, Justice, salt, and black pepper in a bowl and thoroughly mix until there are no lumps. Beat the egg whites separately.
- 2 teaspoon Flour, 2 teaspoon Butter, 1 cup Milk, 1/4 teaspoon Dry mustard, 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire SaucePut the butter and flour in a saucepan. Turn the heat to medium. Let the butter melt and mix it with the flour. When it has turned white, add the milk. Stir continuously until the mixture has thickened. Add the mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. Turn the heat off.
- 2 Egg whiteWhen the waffle iron is ready, fold the egg whites into the batter. It’s okay if there are little streaks of white.
- 1 teaspoon Olive oilSpray the waffle iron with olive oil then pour half the batter on the waffle iron and close it up. Let it cook until it has browned, about 5 minutes. Remove the waffle and keep it warm while you cook the other one.
- 1/4 cup SwissWhile the waffles are cooking, add the cheese to the roux and mix it to make a lovely sauce.
To Make the Sandwich
- 2 slices Ham, 1/8 teaspoon CayenneLay a slice of ham on one side of the waffle, Pour a little of the sauce on it, spread it all over, Then fold it and cut the waffle in half. Plate one-half for each person. Do this for both waffles. Pour the remaining sauce over the waffles. Sprinkle a little cayenne over before serving.