Last Updated on June 1, 2022
I have always liked crab balls, ever since my mother used to buy Mrs. Paul’s Frozen Crab Cakes when I was a little kid. As I grew up, I realized I could make them myself and used Zatarains, which had a lot of salt, so I decided to make my own and do better.
These make a great appetizer or a light lunch with a salad or chips. When I made this, I threw a thinly sliced potato in the fat and made potato chips.
These balls use Penzey’s Ozark Seasoning for a little extra flavor, and seriously, the sauce really needs the Homade brand of Chili Sauce. You can find it in the condiments section of your local supermarket.
You don’t have to break the bank, use imitation crab, or if you want to splurge, use real crab.
Let’s Make Crab Balls
-- Crab Balls --
-- Breading --
- 1 whole Egg
- 1 cup Flour
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon Chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon Sunflower oil about 2 cups for frying
- 1/2 pound Imitation Crab Meat chunk style, 1/2 cup Mayonaise, 1 teaspoon dried minced onion, 1 teaspoon Red & Green Peppers, 1/2 cup Bread crumbs, 1/4 teaspoon True Lemon, 1/4 teaspoon Osark Seasoning, 1 teaspoon capersMix all the crab ball ingredients together. Taste for seasoning.
- Using a small ice cream scoop, form the mixture into balls and set aside. The balls should be about 1 1/2 inches 3.81 cm.
- 1 whole Egg, 1 cup Flour, 1/2 teaspoon Chipotle powder, 1 cup panko bread crumbsGet three shallow bowls or containers and put in one flour with chipotle, one egg, and one Panko breadcrumbs. Mix the flour and chipotle nicely. Beat the egg lightly with a fork.
- Dip the balls first in the flour mixture and shake off the excess. Then dip in the egg, letting the excess drip off, then roll in the panko bread crumbs.
- Put the balls in the refrigerator, uncovered.
- 1 teaspoon Sunflower oil about 2 cups for fryingPut the oil in a deep saucepan or fryer and heat it to 380 F/ 193 C.
- 1/4 cup Ketchup, 1/2 teaspoon Horseradish, 2 tablespoon Homade Chili Sauce, 1/4 teaspoon True Lemon, 1/8 teaspoon TabascoWhile the oil is heating up, make the sauce and refrigerate it until the oil is hot enough.
- Get a rack and put some paper towels on it to absorb the grease.
- Dip two or three balls into the hot fat and let them cook until they have lightly browned about 3-4 minutes. Remove them from the fat and put them on the paper to absorb the grease,
- Serve with the sauce,