Last Updated on December 13, 2019
Barbecued Potato Chip Tuna Casserole may not by the prettiest casserole in the world, but it tastes very good. My mother would make this if we had leftover potato chips. My mother wasn’t much into snack food, so this was not something we had a lot, but it is one of those comfort foods that I remember fondly.
A Little History
When I was four years old, my father got stationed in Kaiserslautern, Germany. My mother bought most of the food at the local farmer’s market and the local grocery store. We didn’t get a lot of American goods, I remember going to the PX only twice. The first time I had French fries, it was in France, and they were more like potato chips. I remember really liking them.
When we returned to the United States when I was six, I was surprised to find out that French fries were long rectangular potatoes fried in oil. I didn’t like them very much. The elusive, thin chip we had in France was actually a potato chip, and the brand my mother bought, that I really loved was Granny Goose.
When we moved to Los Angeles when I was eight, there were no Granny Goose potato chips. I really didn’t like the regular brands, except for the barbecue flavor chips. This leads me to my recipe. Granny Goose is out of business, and the only chips Spane and I really like are barbecue flavor. Of course, my mother used the Granny Goose salted chip for her casserole. That’s probably why the only time she made it was when we were living in Northern California.
But, I found out last night that barbecue chips make a really good casserole, and I’m going to share it with you here. When you make this, make sure you get a good barbecued chip, the Lays Tangy Carolina chips are particularly well suited for this.
Let’s Make Barbecued Potato Chip Tuna Casserole
If you really want to be able to taste the tuna, then I suggest you buy the tuna in olive oil. It still retains the taste of the tuna. Tuna in water does not. Tuna packed in olive oil is also good for you, as olive oil has important nutrients.
- 1 bag Barbecued chips, Kettle type preferred
- 1 can Tuna, albacore preferred
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- In a 1-quart casserole dish, place a large layer of chips.
- Drain the tuna and using a fork to break up the tuna, add it to the casserole.
- Spoon the mushroom soup over the tuna and chips.
- Add the mozzarella cheese and some of the cheddar.
- Spoon the sour cream over the cheese.
- Carefully mix everything together, making sure that it is evenly mixed throughout.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheddar over the top.
- Cut the butter into pieces and distribute over the top of the cheese.
- Put into the preheated oven and cook for 20 minutes.