Warm yourself with hot Lasagna Soup with Chicken Kale Sausage on a cold day. Make this delicious soup in your Instant Pot.
If you like lasagna, you will love this soup. Because it’s made in the Instant Pot, it’s ready in about 20 minutes, and that includes prep. It makes about three quarts of soup, enough for six very hungry people, or eight people with crusty Italian bread and a nice salad. If you have leftovers, you can portion them out and freeze them. The soup freezes and reheats nicely.
Chicken Kale Sausage
The sausage used in this soup is Misfit Foods Citrus Chicken Kale Sausage. It has Chimchuri herbs and good flavors that don’t get lost in the soup. One of the reasons I chose this particular sausage is that it has kale, which is good for your gut biome. Since it’s made from chicken, it doesn’t have very much fat. On cold days, we tend to stay indoors, not exercise as much, and gain weight. Every little bit helps keep the waistline in shape, right? You can find it on Amazon or I get mine from Imperfect Foods.
This sausage would also be good in my Pasta Fagioli Soup.
Of course, if you don’t want to use that sausage, you could use any sausage you like. If you use uncooked sausage like Italian sausage, you would want to cook it and drain it on a paper towel to remove any grease before putting it in the pot.
For the Liquid in the Lasagna Soup
To make the liquid for this soup, use a quart measuring cup. For the can of tomatoes, put the tomatoes in the Instant Pot, but put the remaining juice in the measuring cup. Then add enough red wine to come up to one cup of liquid. Then you can add the chicken base and enough boiling water to get up to 3 cups of water. You could also use whatever broth you have on hand, just make sure you have enough to make three cups of liquid.
What Kind of Cheese?
I really like fresh, sliced mozzarella for this because it melts so nicely and doesn’t have an overpowering flavor. For garnish, you could use either shredded or shaved parmesan. Please use real cheese, not the stuff in the box!
Let’s Make Lasagna Soup with Chicken-Kale-Sausage
- 2 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 cup Onion, chopped
- 1 cup Red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Garlic, chopped
- ½ cup Mushrooms, sliced
- 1 package Citrus Kale Chicken Sausage, sliced
- 1 San Marzano tomatoes, whole peeled
- 1 teaspoon chicken base
- 1 pound Penne pasta
- ¼ cup Red wine, IMPORTANT: see notes
- 2 cup water, boiling
- 1 teaspoon Tuscan Sunset
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 tablespoon Basil, whole leaves
- 1 pound Mozzarella, fresh sliced
- 2 tablespoon Parmesan, grated
- Mise en place
- 1 package Citrus Kale Chicken SausageSlice the sausage into one-inch slices.
- If your Instant Pot's inner pot can go on the stovetop, saute on the stovetop, otherwise use the Saute function.
- 2 tablespoon Olive oil, 1 cup Onion, 1 cup Red bell pepper, 2 tablespoons Garlic, 1 package Citrus Kale Chicken SausageAdd olive oil to the inner pot. When the oil is boiling, add the onions. Saute until they are translucent, then add the garlic, saute, and bell pepper. Finally, add the sausage to the pot.
- 1 San Marzano tomatoesUsing a fork, put the tomatoes in the can in the pot. DO NOT POUR THE LIQUID INTO THE POT!!
- 1/4 cup Red winePour the juice from the canned tomatoes into a 1-quart measuring cup. Add enough red wine to come up to 1 cup of liquid.
- 1 teaspoon chicken base, 2 cup waterAdd the chicken base. Add enough hot water to make 3 cups of water.
- 1/2 cup Mushrooms, 1 pound Penne pasta, 1 teaspoon Tuscan Sunset, 1/2 teaspoon Black pepper, 2 tablespoon BasilAdd the pasta to the pot. Add the liquid, mushrooms, and basil leaves.
- Put the inner pot in the Instant Pot or turn off the Saute function. Set the Instant Pot to Pressure Cook for 6 minutes on high. Use the Natural Release method for 10 minutes, then Quick Release if all the pressure has not been released yet.
- 1 pound MozzarellaAdd the mozzarella slices and stir well while the cheese melts. It does not have to melt completely.,
- 2 tablespoon ParmesanServe with more basil leaves and shredded parmesan dusted on the top.