These Air-Fried Egg Rolls with Steak, Rice, and Cabbage are so easy to make and since they are not deep-fried, are healthy. If you want them vegetarian or vegan, just eliminate the steak.
This is what happens when you look in the refrigerator and have a bunch of leftovers. I had a small leftover steak, leftover white rice, and leftover salsa. We were having Asian Chicken Salad for dinner so what could be better than egg rolls to go with it.
I put the cabbage and steak in the food processor with the salsa and mixed it in with the leftover rice. I added seasoning to give it an Asian flavor. When you make this, feel free to change the ingredients, don’t include the steak or salsa, etc.
You can find egg roll skins in the refrigerated section of your market. They will be with the wonton wrappers. You could also stuff wonton wrappers if you wanted to make these into bite-size wontons for a party or gathering.
Rolling these is pretty simple. It’s just a matter of folding a third over the filling, tucking in the sides, rolling it tightly to the top, and finally sealing the wrapper with water.
If you want, you can deep fry these in oil until they are crisp and brown but if you are watching your weight or fats, then air frying is the way to go.
These also freeze well. Lay them out on a cutting board and put the cutting board in the freezer. Freeze them, uncovered and not touching, until they are hard. At that point, you can put them in strong freezer bags or vacuum seal them. Reheat them in the oven at 375 F/ 188 C for about 20 minutes.
If you make these, let me know how you liked them or what you changed in the comments below.
- 1 package Egg roll skins
- ¼ pound Steak, cooked
- 2 cups Rice, white, cooked
- 1 cup Cabbage, shredded
- ½ cup Salsa
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon sherry
- ½ teaspoon Sesame Oil
- 1 tablespoon Soy sauce
- ¼ cup Water
- Mise En Place
- Cut the cabbage into sizes that will fit in the food processor. Slice the steak roughly, Put the steak, salsa, and cabbage in the food processor and pulse until the steak and cabbage are about the same size as the rice. Mix with the rice in a large bowl. Add the ground ginger, sherry, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Mix thoroughly. Taste for seasoning.
- Put some water in a small bowl and have it ready with the egg roll skins and filling.
- Put some of the filling in the center of the egg roll skin.
- Fold the bottom of the skin over half of the filling.
- Bring the sides in and fold them to close the sides of the roll.
- Bring the bottom of the egg roll skin up and roll it tightly up leaving an inch or so unrolled.
- Put your finger in the bowl of water and paint the top flap of the skin.
- Finally, roll the top flap over the rest of the egg roll and seal it with your finger.
- You can flash freeze the egg rolls at this point or you can put them in the air fryer at 400 F/ 204 C for about 5 minutes or until the rolls are nicely browned.