I love mushrooms, and lately, I have been finding nice big ones at the local corner store. I picked up six of them and decided to wait and have them stuffed for our meatless Friday meal.
The Nesco is the perfect appliance to cook them, as they do not dry out, and can steam in wine. Clean up is a snap, and your kitchen does not heat up.
- 6 large stuffing mushrooms, stems removed and set aside
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon shallots in oil, or minced shallots
- 2 spring onion , tops only, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Sherry
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 6 slices Fresh Mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup water
- Chop the mushrooms stems.
- Put the 2 tablespoons butter in a sauté pan, and melt it. Add the shallots, and sauté until they are translucent. Add the spring onion and parsley, and sauté about 10 seconds.
- Add the mushrooms, sauté about 30 seconds, then add the sherry. Lower the heat and cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the cookwell from the Nesco, and preheat it to 375.
- Put the cooked mushroom mixture in a mixing bowl. Melt the remaining butter in the pan, being sure not to burn it.
- Add the breadcrumbs and cheese to the mushroom mixture, and mix well. Pour the melted butter over and mix thoroughly.
- Put the mushrooms on the rack of the Nesco. Stuff each mushroom, and top with a slice of fresh mozzarella.
- Add the wine and enough water just to come up the bottom of the mushrooms. Place the cookwell in the Nesco, cover and cook about 15 minutes.