You will really like this. It’s so easy to make, quick and even people who don’t like fish will like this. What makes this recipe really pop is having both fresh tomatoes and sun-dried tomatoes. You can use whatever pasta you prefer.
A Word About Tomatoes
Please get Italian Roma style tomatoes when you make this. Regular round tomatoes, even the ones that come on the vine do not have the same texture. The round tomatoes often have too much juice, or sometimes if they are not ripe enough, no juice at all. So, the best thing to do is to use the Roma style tomatoes. They are usually a little less expensive, too, and that goes with our theme of gourmet foods on a budget!
Let’s make Pasta with Fresh Tomatoes and Clams
- 1/2 pound pasta, Angel Hair was used here
- 1 tablespoon sun-dried tomato oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Roma tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Tuscan Sunset
- 1 tablespoon red wine
- 1 can clams
- 3 basil leaves, chiffonaded
- parmesan for serving
- Mise En Place
- Bring a large salted pot of water to a boil.
- Put the oils in a saute pan and let them get very hot.
- Add the garlic to the oil mixture and cook until they are translucent.
- Add the fresh tomatoes and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Add the sugar, salt, and Tuscan Sunset. Add the wine, stir together and taste for seasoning.
- Make adjustments as needed.
- Cover the pan and reduce the heat. Let the mixture simmer for about 5-10 minutes or until the tomato has completely broken down. If your pasta is not cooked yet, turn the heat off on the sauce.
- Just before serving, add the clams and cook until they are completely heated up. Don't overcook them.
- Drain the pasta and put it in a nice bowl. Put the sauce on the pasta, and then the chiffonaded basil. Serve with parmesan.