Last Updated on August 23, 2019
I am always so happy when the big, juicy tomatoes come into season. One of my favorite things to do is make tomato salad sandwiches. For our house, Fridays are meatless, so this was a perfect sandwich on a hot day. I’m not sure why the supermarkets I go to don’t have these big, fat tomatoes. I’ve asked and they said that no one wants to buy them, so today, I was determined to find some really nice ones. I lucked out and found a small grocer that had them. I got three, one for today’s sandwich, one to make Fried Green Tomatoes, and the other one by itself for salad. Here’s my catch:
Of course, you can use anything you want on your sandwich, but this one tastes very good.
- 1 Tomato sliced
- 1 tablespoon Italian dressing
- 4 slices bread , toasted
- 1 tablespoon Mayonaise
- 1/8 teaspoon Aleppo pepper
- 4 leaves Lettuce
- Slice the tomatoes and put them in a bowl with the dressing. Let them macerate for about 30 minutes.
- Toast the bread. Put a generous amount of mayonnaise on each slice. Put one of two tomato slices on each piece of bread.
- Sprinkle some of the Aleppo pepper on the one side where the mayonnaise is.
- Top with lettuce and put the other slice of bread on top. Cut and serve.