Last Updated on August 21, 2019
So, this is what happens when you have strawberries leftover from making Fresh Strawberry Sheet Cake, and a half a cantaloupe sitting forlornly in the refrigerator. You put them together in a salad and spice them up so they are not boring anymore. This makes a lovely light lunch, and the juice at the bottom of the bowl is out of this world delicious.
I know I keep going on about True Citrus products, but I have to tell you, they are worth it. Sure, you can go out and buy limes, and maybe you will have one or two left that you forget about and they wither away in the produce drawer – only to find them dried up and hard as a rock when you really want one. This way, the only time I run out of lime is if I run out of True Lime.
Let’s Make Spicy Strawberry Cantaloupe Salad
- 1 cantaloupe
- 2 dozen strawberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon True Lime or juice of 1/2 lime
- ½ teaspoon New Mexico chile or other mild chile pepper powder
- Cut the melon in half and remove the pulp. For large balls, use a small ice cream scoop, for smaller balls, use a melon baller. Remove the stems from the strawberries and cut them in half - leave any little ones whole.
- Mix the sugar, True Lime and chile pepper together.
- Pour the spice on the fruit, stir and mix it so all the fruit gets some of the spice, and then let it sit in the refrigerator for about a half an hour to macerate.
- Serve the salad in bowls with whatever juice the fruit has made. Encourage everyone to drink the juice at the bottom of the bowl - it's delicious!