Giant Beans in Tomato Sauce is a healthy dish that typically comes together over two days comes together in an afternoon with the help of an Instant Pot.
Giant Beans in Tomato Sauce Salad is a favorite summer salad when giant beef steak tomatoes are in season.
A dish that typically comes together over two days comes together in a few hours. It’s filling, healthy, and great on a summer day without getting your kitchen hot.
This is a traditional Greek bean dish that is usually baked and served warm. I had a big tomato and I thought it would make a great salad instead. With the help of the Instant Pot, this came together in an afternoon.
I finally bought a nice bowl for serving salads other than green salads. Potato salad, coleslaw, etc., need to go in a nice bowl of their own. I found this bowl just in time for this Giant Beans in Tomato Sauce salad.
This salad contains the herb Epazote. I highly recommend using it for all your bean dishes.
This is based on the Greek dish that is usually roasted and served warm. I put an Italian twist on it with some of Penzey’s Tuscan Sunset seasoning and served it with grated parmesan. Spane preferred feta cheese, which is the traditional cheese to serve with this.
Let’s Make Salad
If you purchase any of the products through these affiliate links, I get a few pennies that help keep The Good Plate open. I use these products myself and want you to be able to easily find them.
— For the Beans —
- ½ bag Lima Beans , dried
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 2 Bay leaf
- 2 cloves Garlic
- ½ teaspoon Epazote
- 2 quart Water
— For the Salad Dressing —
- 1 Tomato sliced
- 1 tablespoon Italian dressing, Girard’s’ preferred
- 1 teaspoon Balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup Water
- 2 tablespoon Olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Tuscan Sunset
- 2 tablespoon Tomato paste
- ¼ teaspoon salt
— For the Salad —
- ¼ Red onion, chopped
- 1 Persian Cucumber, sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
For the Beans
- 1/2 bag Lima Beans, 1 teaspoon Oregano, 2 Bay leaf, 2 cloves Garlic, 1/2 teaspoon Epazote, 2 quart WaterPut the beans, spices, and water into the Instant Pot and cook for 15 minutes, then use the quick release method. Drain the beans and refrigerate until they are cold.
For the Dressing
- 1 Tomato sliced, 1 tablespoon Italian dressingWhile the beans are chilling, slice the tomato and put it in a bowl with the Italian dressing. Put it also in the refrigerator to macerate until you are ready to serve.
- 1 teaspoon Balsamic vinegar, 1/4 cup Water, 2 tablespoon Olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon Tuscan Sunset, 2 tablespoon Tomato paste, 1/4 teaspoon saltPut the tomato and dressing in a small food processor or blender and blend with the remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth.
For the Salad
- 1/4 Red onion, 1 Persian Cucumber, 1 cup cherry tomatoesCombine the beans, cucumber, onions, and tomatoes and add the dressing. Toss to thoroughly coat all the beans and place in a nice serving bowl.
- Enjoy this with crusty bread and a glass of red wine.