Last Updated on April 16, 2022
This is a different Bloody Mary recipe. Presenting Bloody Margaret, she’s oh so lovely with her fresh basil and citrus vodka. Enjoy!
When my girlfriend Amber came over for girl talk, and there were no adult libations in the house, we went to our local Armenian liquor store to get something.
Amber likes vodka, and the Armenian store is the place to go since vodka is very popular with Armenians. It seems that every type of vodka made in the world is available in the Armenian liquor store, with myriad flavors, and whimsical bottles. We got a citrus-flavored variety since I had a large can of tomato juice in the refrigerator. I also have a large sweet Italian basil plant.
My friend and former chef at Birds in Hollywood, Chef John Farion, had come over to change the door on the refrigerator. Of course, as I was getting ice and then the tomato juice out of the refrigerator, I kept trying to open it on the wrong side. That made Amber and I laugh.
I had watered my sweet Italian basil plant and it was sitting on the counter. You know where this is going, huh? Me too. These drinks turned out really tasty, and I think you will want to add them to your next get together.
- 8 whole basil leaves
- 2 cups vodka, citrus or another good vodka
- 1 48 oz can tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- Garlic Pepper
- Moisten the lip of four tall glasses, then crust the edges in garlic pepper. If you don’t have garlic pepper or don’t like pepper rimmed drinks, you can skip this step.
- Put ice in each glass, and one whole basil leaf in each glass.
- Put the vodka, tomato juice, Worcestershire, Tabasco and remaining ice in a nice pitcher. Rub the basil leaves together in your hands to release the oils, then roll up and slice finely in a Chiffonade. Add that to the pitcher and stir. Check for seasoning, adding more Tabasco or Worcestershire as needed.
- Pour this into the tall glasses and serve. There should be more left in the pitcher for refills.
You can make this in a pitcher or individual tall glasses. The directions here are for a pitcher. This recipe is for six adults. If you have little ones at home, who would like to have some put the vodka directly into the glasses and not the pitcher.
Great Article. It will be useful to everyone who will be able to use this information, including myself. Keep up the good work.
Great post. Found the info very handy thanks. Found your site through yahoo Good luck
Thank you for this great stuff and wonderful read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff your upcoming blog posts…