This Stellar Salad is a feast for the imagination. I’ve always been interested in astronomy, ever since I was a small child looking into the night sky. My good friend, John Farion, gave me this recipe a very long time ago.
Spring Equinox is a magical day when the amount of time between night and day are the same. It has been a way for people to know that it is time to plant their crops, and in the Fall Equinox, it’s time to harvest. People have made markers across the continents and across the ages to mark this special day.
Recently, when Spane and I were at the Griffith Observatory, walking around exploring, I found the marker for the Spring Equinox. This is the marker at Griffith Observatory for the Spring Equinox. Usually, the first day of Spring is the 20th or 21st. But, we got jipped in 2020 because it’s a leap year, it’s on the 19th in 2020.
|Year||March Equinox||June Solstice||September Equinox||December Solstice|
|2020||Mar 19||8:49 pm PDT||Jun 20||2:43 pm PDT||Sep 22||6:30 am PDT||Dec 21||2:02 am PST|
|2021||Mar 20||2:37 am PDT||Jun 20||8:32 pm PDT||Sep 22||12:21 pm PDT||Dec 21||7:59 am PST|
|2022||Mar 20||8:33 am PDT||Jun 21||2:13 am PDT||Sep 22||6:03 pm PDT||Dec 21||1:48 pm PST|
|2023||Mar 20||2:24 pm PDT||Jun 21||7:57 am PDT||Sep 22||11:49 pm PDT||Dec 21||7:27 pm PST|
|2024||Mar 19||8:06 pm PDT||Jun 20||1:50 pm PDT||Sep 22||5:43 am PDT||Dec 21||1:20 am PST|
|2025||Mar 20||2:01 am PDT||Jun 20||7:42 pm PDT||Sep 22||11:19 am PDT||Dec 21||7:03 am PST|
- 1 Pumpkin
- 1 Tomato seed
- 1 Pea
- 1 Green Pea
- 1 Raisin
- 1 Apple
- 1 Peach
- 1 Plum
- 1 Strawberry Seed
- For a stellar salad, if the Sun were a pumpkin about a foot in diameter,
- Mercury would be a tomato seed about 50 feet away,
- Venus would be a pea about 50 feet away,
- Earth would be a green pea about 100 feet away.
- Mars would be a little raisin about 175 feet away,
- Jupiter would be an apple about 550 feet way,
- Saturn would be a peach about 1025 feet away,
- Uranus would be a plum 2050 feet away,
- Neptune would be a plum about 3225 feet away,
- and Pluto would be smaller than a strawberry seed nearly a mile away.