Pimento cheese, a Southern favorite, rice is combined with succulent shrimp and broccoli for a delightful dish that comes together easily in the Instant Pot. This is a quick and flavorful meal that celebrates the bold and comforting flavors of the South.
Instant Pot cooking has revolutionized the way we prepare meals, making it easier and quicker to whip up delicious dishes. This recipe is all about marrying the flavors of the South with the convenience of modern cooking technology.
Pimento Cheese: A Southern Staple
Pimento cheese is a beloved Southern dish that combines mayonnaise, and cheese with sweet and tangy pimento peppers. The resulting spread is perfect for crackers, sandwiches, or a dip. Incorporating it into a rice and shrimp dish adds a Southern flair with rich, bold flavors. Instead of using mayonnaise, we are using half and half to give it the rich, creaminess.
Rice, the Instant Pot Way
Cooking rice in the Instant Pot is a game-changer. With perfectly fluffy results every time and the ability to infuse the grains with various flavors, it’s a versatile method. Instant Pots often have a long-grain rice setting, which is fine. If your Instant Pot does not have one, cook it for 4 minutes then use Quick Release when it’s done.
Shrimp, known for its sweet and delicate flavor, pairs wonderfully with the boldness of pimento cheese rice. Sprinkle a little bit of Mis Rubin’s Fish Magic over the shrimp as a marinade while the rice is cooking.
Broccoli for Health
We include broccoli in this recipe since it goes so well with cheese. Feel free to add as much broccoli as you wish – the more the better.
“With broccoli, specifically, there is a high amount of a phytochemical called sulforaphane, which is a cancer-fighting plant compound that has been linked to reducing the risks of prostate cancer, breast cancer, colon cancer and oral cancers.”Vijaya Surampudi, MD, assistant professor of medicine in the Division of Human Nutrition at UCLA Health
Enjoying the Flavors of the South
With this Instant Pot recipe, enjoy flavors of the South in a fraction of the time it takes using traditional methods. The creamy pimento cheese rice and succulent shrimp come together. They create a harmonious and flavorful meal that’s sure to satisfy your taste buds and impress your dinner guests.
Pimento Cheese Rice and Shrimp in the Instant Pot is a delicious and convenient way to savor the essence of Southern cuisine. With the Instant Pot’s efficiency and the bold flavors of pimento cheese, this dish brings a touch of the South to your dinner table with minimal effort. So, if you’re ready for a quick and savory Southern-inspired meal, give this recipe a try and experience the magic of Instant Pot cooking.
This dish is spicy. If you cannot tolerate heat, omit the Tabasco, Fish Magic, Peppadews, and Fresno chilis. Add a pinch of salt to the shrimp and increase the red bell pepper. Of course, if you like your food spicy feel free to get extra heat by not seeding the chilis or adding extra Tabasco.
Pimento Cheese Rice and Shrimp Recipe
If you purchase any of the products through these affiliate links, I get a few pennies that help keep The Good Plate open. I use these products myself and want you to be able to easily find them.
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- ½ cup Onion, chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, sliced
- ¼ cup Red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 Fresno chilies, seeded
- 4 oz Pimentos, with juice
- 1 ½ cup Rice, long-grain white
- ¼ cup Peppadew peppers
- 1 ½ cup Water, boiling
- 1 ½ teaspoons Vegetable base
- ⅛ teaspoon Dry mustard
- ⅛ teaspoon Tabasco
- ¼ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup Half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons Cheddar cheese powder
- ⅓ cup Cheddar, sharp white preferred
- 1 ½ cup broccoli florets
- ½ pound Shrimp, peeled and deveined
~~ Garnish ~~
- 3 Peppadew peppers, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves
- Mise en Place
- 1 tablespoon ButterMelt the butter in the Instant Pot's inner pot either on the stove top or using the sauté function. Add the onion and saute until it becomes translucent.
- 1/2 cup Onion, 1/4 cup Red bell pepper, 2 Fresno chiliesAdd red bell pepper, and Fresno pepper to the pot and sauté until the onion is translucent and the peppers are softened.
- 2 cloves GarlicAdd the garlic and saute that as well. Do not let it burn.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Vegetable base, 1/8 teaspoon Dry mustard, 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, 1/8 teaspoon TabascoWhile that is happening, boil the water. Put the vegetable base, dry mustard, Tabasco, and Worcestershire sauce in a heat-proof measuring cup.
- 1 1/2 cup WaterAdd the boiling water, thoroughly stir, and set the mixture aside.
- 4 oz Pimentos, 1 1/2 cup Rice, 1/4 cup Peppadew peppersAdd the rice, pimentos, and Peppadews to the pot. Stir everything together.
- Add the water mixture and return the pot to the cooking unit or press stop.
- Cover the pot and set it to cooking mode. If your Instant Pot has a rice setting, use that, otherwise, set the pot for 4 minutes.
- When the rice is done, use the Quick Release method.
- 1/2 cup Half-and-half cream, 2 tablespoons Cheddar cheese powder, 1/3 cup CheddarAdd the cheese, powdered cheddar and the half and half. Stir well.
- 1 1/2 cup broccoli florets, 1/2 pound ShrimpAdd the shrimp and broccoli to the pot and fold them into the rice. Put the top back on and set the Instant Pot to 1 minute.
- Again, use the Quick Release method and remove the cover.
- 3 Peppadew peppers, 2 tablespoons cilantro leavesStir well and place in a serving bowl. Garnish with the 3 Peppadew peppers and cilantro leaves.