Instant Pot White Cabbage is a great and healthy side dish even veggie haters will like. Accompanied by apples, bacon, and white wine it’s a healthy, quick and easy side dish.
When we were in South Carolina to visit my cousin, she gave me her recipe for white cabbage. When I got home, I was determined to make it, even though I don’t have a specialty steamer like hers. I was going to make it for Christmas dinner with ham and Southern-style Spicy Mac and Cheese because I knew it would be a great foil for those richer foods.
I went into my kitchen and gathered ingredients intending to steam the cabbage in my stovetop steamer, but then I spied with my little eye – an Instant Pot! What magic is this, I thought, that can make cabbage in 10 minutes! Perfect, I was already running late with dinner. My cousin’s had taken about 45 minutes, my Instant Pot white cabbage would take 10!
Notes on Making Instant Pot White Cabbage
Cabbage is a wonderful vegetable and holds up a lot longer than lettuce. If you have leftover raw cabbage from making slaw, then this is the perfect opportunity to use it up. You don’t have to shred the cabbage thinly. I just sliced mine into 1/4 inch slices.
If you want the extra vitamins from the apple peel, feel free not to peel it. It might look a little strange though if you are not using a green-skinned apple. Any cooking apple will do fine.
Use the white wine that you like. If you like a sweeter white wine, then use that. I had Chardonnay on hand so I used that. I make Red Cabbage with Mogen David Blackberry wine that is sweet and lovely. You are more than welcome to try both. Enjoy cabbage and be healthy!
- 1/2 head cabbage, sliced into 1/2 inch slices
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 apple, cored, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- Cook off the bacon, reserving the fat and break the bacon up into small pieces.
- Set the Instant Pot on Saute Mode.
- Add the bacon and bacon fat to the inner pot.
- Add the onion and pepper and saute them until the onion is translucent. Add the butter.
- Add the cabbage, apple, bay leaf, and wine.
- Put the cover on and put the valve into cooking mode.
- Put the Instant Pot on Pressure mode for 10 minutes.
- Use the Quick Release method when the time is up.
- Serve with Tabasco sauce.