Cheesy Jalapeno Cornbread with Creamed Corn is rich, moist, and flavorful. Have it with chili, or just by itself.
The Pizza Guy Leaveth…
When we get pizza delivery, the box always has one or two small containers of jalapeño peppers. I don’t know why, we don’t use it on our pizza, and they send it even if you tell them not to. But, that’s okay, there are recipes to be made with those lovely little peppers, like Jalapeño Stuffed Peppers and, of course, Cheesy Jalapeno CornBread with Creamed Corn.
Another thing I don’t ever buy is cream-style corn, and yet, it manages to show up in my pantry on occasion. Sometimes, people bring gifts, and sometimes it’s the food they don’t like or know what to do with. I don’t like cream-style corn, but I love it in cornbread. Will I purposely go out and buy it just for cornbread? Nope, I wait until some kind soul mysteriously adds it to my pantry.
Rich and Simple
This is a simple bread to make and is rich. Using melted butter instead of oil makes it buttery tasting, Chipotle gives it a smoky kick, and the cream-style corn makes it nice and moist. Serve it with chili, or plain by itself warm out of the oven.
The main ingredient in this cornbread is cornmeal. Cornmeal comes from dried corn. There are several varieties, including white, which is usually used for cornbread. It also comes in blue, which might be very interesting. Using masa harina, or masa flour, is not recommended for this dish.
Cast Iron Skillet
A cast iron skillet is the preferred method of making this cornbread. However, you could also use a cake pan to bake the batter into muffins instead. The cornbread is done when a toothpick inserted into it comes out clean.
Cheesy Jalapeno Cornbread Recipe
If you purchase any of the products through these affiliate links, I get a few pennies that help keep The Good Plate open. I use these products myself and want you to be able to easily find them.
- 1 cup Yellow Corn Meal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup milk
- ⅓ cup butter, melted
- 1 large egg , lightly beaten
- 2 small cans Jalapeño peppers , chopped
- 1 can cream-style corn
- ½ teaspoon Chipotle powder
- ½ cup White cheddar , grated
- Mise En Place
- Pre-heat oven to 400F/204C. Have ready an iron skillet. Melt the butter in a small pan.
- Combine meal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Combine cream-style corn, milk, butter, and egg in small bowl; mix well.
- Dry and Wet Ingredients
- Add milk mixture to flour mixture; stir just until blended. Do not wash the pan with the butter!
- Add Chipotle powder, jalapeño, and half of the cheddar cheese. Stir just until blended.
- Using a pastry brush or other tool, swipe out the pan with the butter, and grease your iron skillet with that butter.
- Greased Iron Skillet Ready for Batter
- Pour the batter into prepared pan. Top with the remaining cheese.
- Cheese Topped Cheesy Cornbread
- Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
- Cheesy Jalapeno Corn Bread with Creamed Corn