Pizza Fried Chicken is chicken strips with pizza seasoning made crispy in the air fryer. It’s easy to make and for kids of all ages.
Even if a child does not like spicy food, presented with the prospect of pepperoni pizza (or pep-e-on-i as the toddler set says), a child happily stuffs his or her face with it. Kids, no matter what age, also like chicken strips and dip. This is basically chicken fingers with sauce, but I must say, it really fulfills my desire for pizza.
I like pizza, too, but some time ago, I decided that I did not like meat on pizza anymore. Margarita pizza is the one for me. I like to make my own.
So, I wanted pizza, and I also wanted chicken, but I didn’t want meat on my pizza. What to do, what to do? I know! Create Pizza Chicken!
Instead of deep frying the chicken strips, I use an air fryer to make this dish healthier. You can spray the strips with a little olive oil if you want, but it’s not necessary. This is also a good choice for gluten-intolerant since rice flour is used. If you don’t have rice flour and you are okay with wheat, by all means, all-purpose flour is fine.
If you purchase any of the products through these affiliate links, I get a few pennies that help keep The Good Plate open. I use these products myself and want you to be able to easily find them.
~~ Coating ~~
~~ Chicken ~~
- 2 Chicken breasts
- ¼ cup Milk
~~ Pizza Sauce ~~
- 2 cloves Garlic
- ½ cup Mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Armenian Red Pepper Sauce
- 1/4 cup Parmesan, 1/2 cup Yellow Corn Meal, 1/3 cup Rice Flour, 1 tablespoon Tuscan Sunset, 1 teaspoon Paprika, 1/2 teaspoon Salt, 1/2 teaspoon Poultry Seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon Garlic powderCombine the ingredients for the coating in one of the *breading trays. Put milk in another breading tray.
- 2 Chicken breastsCut the chicken into strips about an inch wide.
- 1/4 cup MilkDip each piece of chicken in milk, then in the coating. Place on the *air fryer rack and set in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- 2 cloves Garlic, 1/2 cup Mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon Tomato paste, 1 teaspoon Armenian Red Pepper SauceMake the sauce by placing garlic in a *food processor and adding mayonnaise, tomato paste, and red pepper sauce. Process to a smooth sauce and place in a serving dish.
- Put the breaded chicken strips in the *air fryer and set it to 380 °F for 10 minutes. The chicken is done when it registers 165 °F on an *instant-read thermometer. If the chicken has not reached that temperature, continue cooking in 5-minute increments until the chicken is done. If you have to cook the chicken in batches, keep it warm in a 200 °F oven until all the pieces are cooked.
- Plate the chicken and serve it with the sauce. Enjoy!
Special Sauce for Pizza Fried Chicken
You will need to find Armenian Red Pepper Sauce to make the sauce that goes with it. If you live in Glendale, California, this is not an issue since there are Armenian stores every few blocks, but if you are not so fortunate, you can probably find Red Pepper Paste in Mediterranean stores. My favorite brand is Tukas, but Zergut is very good as well.