Hasselback Potatoes in the Microwave
So I was hunting around Big Oven one night, getting hungry and trying to find something interesting to make with our dinner. It had to be visually appealing, and it had to go in the microwave, because a) I didn’t want to heat up the house, b) I was hungry! When I saw a picture of these, I was intrigued, and even though all recipes said to use the oven, I figured the microwave would work just fine. I was right, it did.
In case you have not heard of these, they are merely baked potatoes that are cut accordion style which originated in Sweden at the Hasselbacken Hotel. They are well worth the effort to make.
If you purchase any of the products through these affiliate links, I get a few pennies that help keep The Good Plate open. I use these products myself and want you to be able to easily find them.
- 2 baking potato
- 2 tbsp Cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tsp Sour Cream
- Choose a good size potato with no blemishes. Scrub it well to remove any dirt.
- Lay the potato between two chopsticks and start cutting very thin slices into the potato, going almost through, but not quite. That is the reason for the chopsticks, so your knife doesn't go all the way through.
- Cut the cheese very thinly and small enough to fit into the spaces between the slices of potato. Put it in alternately in every other space.
- Melt the butter, and mix the butter, garlic, Parmesan, and paprika together. Pour the mixture into and over the potato.
- Put the finished potato on a microwave safe dish and microwave until finished, about 11-12 minutes. Your microwave probably has a potato button, using that is preferred.
- To serve: top with a dollop of sour cream and a dusting of paprika.