When you want something tasty, healthy and filling on a hot summer night, this might be just the one for you. Black lentils are unique because they do not lose their shape or flavor as easily as red and green lentils do. They have a nutty flavor that we love.
This recipe gets even easier when you use an Instant Pot or other pressure cookers to cook the lentils. They do not require soaking, are ready to chill in about 8 minutes, just enough time to prep your other vegetables. While the salad is chilling in the refrigerator, you can relax after a long day, or get something done without having to worry about the stove.
Let’s Make Black Lentil Salad
Black Lentil Salad
This light black lentil whole meal salad is perfect for a hot summer day.
For the Lentils
- 1 cup black lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon vegetable base
- 2 garlic cloves broken
- 2 quarts water
For the Salad
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- 1/4 cup pimentos diced
- 1 can corn
- 1 small can sliced black olives
- 2 tablespoons Girards's Champagne dressing
- Put the lentils, vegetable base, bay leaf and broken up pieces of garlic in the pressure cooker. Cook on high for 8 minutes and use the quick release. Drain the lentils and put them in the refrigerator.
- Chop the onion and put it and the rest of the ingredients in the refrigerator with the lentils.to cool, about an hour and a half or so.
- Combine the lentils, pimentos, corn, olives, red onion and toss with the salad dressing. Taste it and adjust the seasonings to what you like.
This is a perfect salad to add other leftover vegetables or other small vegetables.