Jump to Recipe Jump to Video
This was something that I kind of threw together at the last moment, and it turned out to be quite tasty and easy to make. It’s the month of Italian, and risotto is a traditional Italian dish made from arborio rice. Curry is Indian, but I’m sure Marco Polo probably brought the spice back to Italy from his year-long stay in India, so this is fusion cuisine. Please enjoy this easy to make Curried Chicken Risotto with your own garnishes.
You really need to use Arborio rice to make this and good curry powder. Arborio rice is usually available in major supermarkets and can be found in international and Italian markets. Find out more about Arborio rice on Wikipedia.
If you don’t have chicken, shrimp would be great in this. You can make it vegetarian by omitting the chicken and using vegetable base, or even vegan by using oil instead of butter. Serve it with your choice of accompaniments, chutney, chopped tomato, chopped apple, raisins, coconut, or whatever you like to serve with a curry.
Let’s Make Curried Chicken Risotto
- 1 1/2 cup Arborio rice
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/4 cup bell pepper , chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/4 cup peas, frozen or fresh
- 1 cup cooked chicken
- 1 tablespoon chicken base
- 5 cups hot water
- 2 tablespoon cream
-- Optional Garnishes --
- 1 tomato , chopped
- 1 apple , cubed
- 2 tablespoon raisins
- 1/4 cup coconut , shredded
- 2 tablespoon chutney
- Mix the water and the chicken base together and put into a saucepan on low heat.
- Melt some butter in a large saucepan and cook the onions until they are translucent
- Add the other aromatics, ginger, garlic, peppers
- Cook them down then add the curry powder
- Now its time to add the rice. Make sure the rice gets all stirred in nicely
- Add a ladleful of the chicken base to the pot
- Let it simmer until you can pull a spoon through and it leaves a mark.
- Sorry for the bad picture
- Continue adding a little of the broth at a time, stirring occasionally until the rice is soft and all the broth has been used. When most of the liquid has been absorbed, add the chicken
- Then add the peas and stir until they are heated through
- Now add the cream and let that cook down it also has been absorbed.
- Serve it with chutney, or you can add chopped tomato, raisins, coconut, and chopped apple as garnish.
- Enjoy with a salad.