Last Updated on October 29, 2021
The Pizza Guy Leaveth…
When we get pizza delivery, the box always has one or two small containers of jalapeño peppers. I don’t know why, we don’t use it on our pizza, and they send it even if you tell them not to. But, that’s okay, there are recipes to be made with those lovely little peppers, like Jalapeño Stuffed Peppers and, of course, Cheesy Jalapeno Corn Bread with Creamed Corn.
Another thing I don’t ever buy is cream-style corn, and yet, it manages to show up in my pantry on occasion. Sometimes, people bring gifts, and sometimes it’s the food they don’t like or know what to do with. I don’t like cream-style corn, but I love it in cornbread. Will I purposely go out and buy it just for cornbread? Nope, I wait until some kind soul mysteriously adds it to my pantry.
Rich and Simple
This is a simple bread to make, and rich. Using melted butter instead of oil makes it buttery tasting, and Chipotle gives it a smoky kick, and the cream style corn makes it nice and moist. Serve it with chili, or plain by itself warm out of the oven.
- 1 cup Yellow Corn Meal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup milk
- ⅓ cup butter, melted
- 1 large egg , lightly beaten
- 2 small cans Jalapeño peppers , chopped
- 1 can cream-style corn
- ½ teaspoon Chipotle powder
- ½ cup White cheddar , grated
- Mise En Place
- Pre-heat oven to 400F/204C. Have ready an iron skillet. Melt the butter in a small pan.
- Combine meal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Combine cream-style corn, milk, butter, and egg in small bowl; mix well.
- Dry and Wet Ingredients
- Add milk mixture to flour mixture; stir just until blended. Do not wash the pan with the butter!
- Add Chipotle powder, jalapeño, and half of the cheddar cheese. Stir just until blended.
- Using a pastry brush or other tool, swipe out the pan with the butter, and grease your iron skillet with that butter.
- Greased Iron Skillet Ready for Batter
- Pour the batter into prepared pan. Top with the remaining cheese.
- Cheese Topped Cheesy Cornbread
- Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
- Cheesy Jalapeno Corn Bread with Creamed Corn