Last Updated on October 29, 2021
This cake is a breeze to make. The batter is really thick, and you might think it’s not ever going to be a cake. The great thing is as the apples cook, they let go of their moisture that combines with the batter infusing it with all its wonderful apple goodness and making an impressive cake. The cake is rich and is perfect with tea, or espresso, or my favorite Armenian coffee.
I used to make this cake when I was in high school. One of my classmates brought the recipe one day, and I started making it. The original recipe does not call for brandy, mace, cardamom or nutmeg. I added the brandy to it one day when my father had some sitting on the shelf. It brought it to a whole new level of good. Then, all kinds of things happened in my life, I had jobs, a career change, and finally had a kid. Then Mark Zuckerberg came along and made Facebook. The minute I joined and said what high school I was from, all these friend suggestions came up from my high school. Years later, I posted and asked if anyone knew of the apple cake and might have a recipe. Thankfully, one of the girls posted a picture of the recipe card, and it was the very same one I used to make. So, now, I bring it to you in all its glory.
- 2 cup Apples chopped
- 2 tablespoon Raisins
- 2 tablespoons Apple Brandy , or 1 teaspoon Brandy extract
- 1 Egg
- ¾ cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 cup Flour
- ¼ cup Oil
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Mace
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated Nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon Cardamom
- 1 cup Powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon Butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon Milk
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla
- The batter will be really thick. Mise en place.
- Preheat at 325 glass 350 metal 40 minutes.
- Grease a cake pan, line with parchment paper, and grease that as well. Preheat the oven to 325 for glass and 350 for metal. You could use either round or square.
- 2 tablespoon Raisins, 2 tablespoons Apple BrandyPut the raisins in a small bowl with the brandy or extract and set aside. Set one apple aside, core it and slice it. Put the slices in the bottom of the cake pan.
- 2 cup Apples choppedCore the remaining apples and cut into small pieces, about 1/4 inch thick and 1/2 inch square.
- You may peel them if you want, but it is not required. Add the raisin mixture to the apples, stir and set aside.
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda, 1 cup Flour, 1 teaspoon Cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon Salt, 1/4 teaspoon Mace, 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated Nutmeg, 1/8 teaspoon CardamomSift together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, mace, nutmeg and cardamom. Set aside.
- 1 Egg, 3/4 cup SugarBeat together eggs and sugar until the eggs mixture is light and smooth.
- Beat until a ribbon forms[
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla ExtractAdd the vanilla and beat.
- 1/4 cup OilAdd the oil and beat again.
- Slowly add the flour mixture, beating and scraping the sides of the bowl.
- Ready to add apples
- Add the apple and raisin mixture by hand and mix together.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan being careful not to disturb the slices on the bottom.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for about 10 minutes, then remove from the pan and cool completely.
- 1 cup Powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon Butter, 1 teaspoon Milk, 1/2 teaspoon VanillaTo make the icing, mix the butter and powdered sugar together, then add the vanilla and milk, If the icing is too thin, add more sugar, if too thick, add more milk.
- You may put the icing on the cake if desired, but it is sweet enough without.