Last Updated on August 21, 2019
I made these Quick Chili Rellenos one day when I had a leftover chili from Elena’s Green and Armenian restaurant, and leftover mashed potatoes. This comes together very quickly and you can add meat or fish if you want. It’s a great recipe for a weeknight. Of course, expand it to fit your family.
So, you may be asking about why mashed potatoes. Remember, potatoes started in the Americas and were part of the Columbian Exchange along with peppers and tomatoes. You can read more about the Columbian exchange to find out what other plants and animals were part of the interchange.
Let’s Make Quick Chili Rellenos
These also heat up very nicely in the microwave if you have leftovers. You can also put them in a freezer container and freeze them, covered. Reheat them in the microwave for about 5 minutes.
- 2 Pasilla Chilies, charred and peeled
- ¼ pound Pepper Jack cheese , sliced
- ½ cup Jack cheese, grated
- 1 cup Mashed potatoes
- ½ cup Green enchilada sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ¼ cup Parmesan
For the Air Fryer
- Put the chilis in the air fryer at 400 for 20 minutes. Put them in a bowl and cover them either with a shower cap, plastic wrap, or a towel. Let them sit for 20 minutes then remove the charred skin.
For the Conventional Oven
- Preheat the oven to 350. An eight-inch pan is a perfect size for this.
- 1/4 pound Pepper Jack cheeseFor the cheese, you will need eight slices of cheese. You can use regular Jack cheese or Pepper Jack. I used Pepper Jack in these.
- 1/2 cup Green enchilada sauce, 1 tablespoon tomato pasteCombine the enchilada sauce with the tomato paste and mix it thoroughly. Put a little of the sauce at the bottom of your pan.
- 1 cup Mashed potatoes, 2 Pasilla ChiliesPut some of the mashed potatoes on each pepper. Spread it out.
- Put the cheese on top of the potatoes.
- Bring up the sides of each pepper and secure them with a toothpick.
- Put the completed peppers in the pan on top of the sauce.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the peppers.
- 1/2 cup Jack cheese, 1/4 cup ParmesanTop with the grated cheese.
- Bake in a 350 oven for about 30 minutes or until all the cheese has melted and slightly browned.
- If you are using an air fryer, put the casserole directly in the air fryer and set it to 350 for about 20 minutes.
- Let the casserole sit for a few minutes before serving so the cheese calms down. Serve with sour cream and salsa for garnish.