Last Updated on August 22, 2021
Bread salad is a great way to use up leftover, day-old bread. You can use any kind you want. If you are gluten-intolerant, then gluten-free bread is for you. Vegan? Substitute vegan cheese.
Sometimes, you get a large load of rich, crusty bread but can only finish part of it before it starts to dry out. What can you do with it? Well, you can make croutons, or you can make a summer favorite, Bread Salad.
Bread Salad Ingredients
There is no real “recipe” for this bread salad, put in it what you like to put in regular salads, let your imagination flow! But, I will give you the recipe for the salad I made tonight. I like to add cheese, swiss and cheddar are here. I also used spring onions or scallions, but only the green part. Tomatoes should be cut into very small pieces. This is very much like a chopped salad so everything should be small so the pieces of bread can shine through.
This bread salad makes a whole meal. If you want to, you can add other ingredients, too. Avocado would be an excellent addition. If you have some leftover rotisserie chicken, cut that up and add it. Leftover Thanksgiving turkey? Add that! Leftover Christmas ham? You know that would be good.
One thing you do have to do is use the right bread. A good crusty French bread or a good sourdough would be ideal. It should be a whole loaf, not sliced because you will want to cut it up yourself. Don’t be scared, it’s really easy with a good sharp knife.
A flavorful dressing is also important. The Brown Derby Dressing would be ideal, or a simple Balsamic Vinaigrette would also be good. I used Girard’s Champagne Dressing on our salad tonight for a change.
- 1 loaf of crusty bread, preferably day old, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup Romaine, chopped
- 4 basil leaves, chiffonade
- 4 slices cheddar cheese, or Swiss cut up into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons spring onion, chopped ,green parts only
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons Girard's Champagne Dressing
- 1 loaf of crusty breadCut or tear the bread into bite-size pieces
- 4 slices cheddar cheeseCut the cheese into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup RomaineTear or chop the romaine into very small pieces
- 2 tomatoesChop the tomatoes into 1/4 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons spring onionChop the spring onions into 1/4 inch pieces
- 4 basil leavesRoll the basil together into a tight tube. Slice the tube to chiffonade the basil.
- Combine ingredients in bowl, toss and serve.
- 2 tablespoons Girard's Champagne DressingAdd the dressing and toss
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheeseSprinkle the parmesan on top before serving