Hackfleisch Salat (Meat Salad) is was a salad I loved as a child when my family was stationed in Germany. It’s actually pretty simple, and very filling. It’s perfect for a hot day, or a nice picnic in the park.
My father was a Major in the U.S. Army. We were stationed in Kaiserslautern. My mother bought a lot of foods at the PX, but we didn’t go very often. The PX was similar to a Costco, where military members could get food and goods, shipped from America, in Germany. So, if you really wanted Cheez Whiz, you could get it at the PX, because your local corner store did not have it.
But, when we were living there in the 1960’s, we had a local department store called Seifenmeyer. Downstairs was the deli, upstairs was the perfume department, second floor was clothing, and the top had a fancy restaurant. In the deli, they had excellent bologna, and this is what my mother used to make her salad.
Let’s Get Cooking Hackfleisch Salat (Meat Salad)
- 4 slices good bologna
- 8 gherkins (sweet pickle)
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons good mayonnaise
- freshly ground black pepper
- Romaine or your favorite lettuce
- Cut the meat into slices vertically, then slice horizontally. You will have some rectangular pieces, and some triangles at the end. However you want it, is fine.
- Cut the pieces of pickle as well, into pieces not much more than 1/2 inch thick.
- Break up and cut up the cheese into squares or rectangles as well.
- Put all the in a bowl and add the mayonnaise and crack pepper over all. Toss thoroughly to mix completely.
- Place in a nice salad bowl.
- Put some lettuce on a plate and top with some of the salad. You will probably have left over salad you and your guests can add to their plates.