I have been a fan of Chinese Chicken Salad since the 1980’s when I first had it. Everyone once in a while, I have all the ingredients to make it. This afternoon, Spane and I went and had a very filling lunch at Everest Burgers, so we didn’t want a heavy or big dinner. I asked him if salad would be good, and he said yes. Then I went to my pantry and saw that I had Mandarin oranges, I knew what to make.
This salad has everything but the chicken, and if you happen to have cooked chicken, you are more than welcome to add it to this salad. Make sure you have a sharp knife because you will be chopping the greens and the onion into small pieces.
You could add other fruit to this salad as well, like lychee nuts, or even cherries. I had unsweetened coconut chips which had just enough sweetness, sweetened coconut would be too powerful, so I don’t recommend it. Please choose whichever Asian salad dressing you like, we like Girard’s Asian Dressing.
- 1 small Romaine heart, chopped
- 1/4 small cabbage, chopped
- 1/4 small red onion, minced
- 1 can Mandarin oranges
- 1 small avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup sliced cashews
- 1/8 cup unsweetened coconut chips
- Asian salad dressing, Girard's preferred
- Make sure to chop the greens into pieces no larger than 1/2 inch. Combine the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl. Pour sufficient dressing over all and serve.