I love fried rice! Plain rice at the Chinese restaurant just doesn’t thrill me as much as fried rice, with all the goodies. If you get the Yang Chow fried rice, it comes with chicken, pork, beef and sometimes, shrimp. It’s my favorite, and quite often, all I will get because it is a meal in itself.
The secret to good fried rice is using day old rice. So you have to make extra rice if you want fried rice the next day. That means rice twice in a row, and either I don’t make enough, or I just don’t want it twice in a row. This is a problem, but I have found a solution.
The solution is to use pre-cooked rice that comes in a bag. Uncle Ben’s makes one, and it works perfectly. That way, you can have fried rice any time you want to, as long as you have the pre-cooked rice on hand, you’re good to go.
Same Day Fried Rice YouTube Video
- 1 package pre-cooked rice
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 slivers candied ginger, minced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp slivered almonds
- 1 cup frozen or fresh peas
- 1 egg mixed with 1 tbsp water, stirred
- Put the oils in the bottom of a wok on high heat.
- Saute the onion and garlic, then add the ginger, and saute.
- Add the almonds and saute.
- Add the rice and break up. A potato masher does a good job of this.
- Add the peas and saute.
- Add the soy sauce, saute and taste. Add more if necessary.
- Push the rice aside to leave room to cook the egg.
- Put the egg in the wok, and cook, stirring constantly.
- When the egg is done, break it up into the rice, and stir.
- Serve and enjoy!