Recipes in this Post
Hellman’s Mayonnaise in California
Spane and I were at the 99 Cents Only store on our way to visit Alexandria’s Archives‘s President, and stopped at the store to get a Danish or something, and I spied these jars of Hellman’s. I was amazed, and then found a jar of Bestfoods next to it. I couldn’t help take a picture, considering that I will probably never see the two brands together in the same place, unless I take it upon myself to start rock climbing or something. Don’t get your hopes up, folks, this was a jar of Hellman’s that will expire in August, 2014, just a few weeks after this post. So, no, we won’t be buying that.
I have to say I was flabbergasted when I found Hellman’s in Glendale. I told Spane that the jar was very, very far from home. Hellman’s is typically not sold west of the Rocky Mountains, where Best Foods is sold. The ingredients on both are the same, while some people prefer Best Foods because it is perceived to have a more tangy flavor, more vinegar. Wikipedia has an interesting article about the history of the popular condiment.
Mayonnaise is a great starter for sauces, including my Summer Bean Salad with Lemon Mayonnaise. It also has a host of other uses, but we will talk about those another day.
Recipe: Summer Bean Salad with Lemon Mayonnaise
- 1 can (10 oz) Great Northern Beans (Organic) Rinsed
- 1 can (10 oz) Black beans (Organic) Rinsed
- 1 can (10 oz) Diced Tomatoes (Organic) Rinsed
- 1/4 Red onion sliced
- 1/2 cup Sweet bell peppers sliced
- 1 cup Italian parsley chopped
— Dressing —
- 1/4 cup Lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoon Mayonnaise
- Combine all the salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Put the mustard in a small bowl. Add the lemon juice and mayonnaise. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well to combine.
You can make this vegan by using vegan mayonnaise. There are plenty of recipes on the Internet.
If you have other beans, or other vegetables, please feel free to use them. The more the merrier!
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, High protein, Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)
Fat: 3 grams
Protein: 11 grams
Copyright © The Good Plate.
Recipe by Adrienne Boswell.
Microformatting by hRecipe.