Ah, the first day back at school! This year, not only does Spane get a new teacher for 5th grade, the school also gets a new Principal. I think it’s important to make a good impression. Spane is a good student, but it never hurts to grease a few palms with an appreciative gift. I already made Trinket Boxes, and special Scrunchy Bows for the gift bag, but I wanted to put something else inside. I was wrestling with myself over this, and then I remembered I had a bag of butterscotch chips that I had gotten on sale at the local supermarket. Everyone likes cookies, and if they don’t they can give them to someone who does.
These Mocha Butterscotch Cashew Cookies will be rich, so I will also be giving a plate of cookies to the front office, some to my neighbor who gives me figs and apples, some to Spane’s Lemonade Stand co-worker, and still be able to have some for Spane and I.
I love going to the resale shops, finding bargains, and occasionally finding something old that comes back home with me for a new life. I have a friend who had this interesting jar with a top that you would push down on and she would use it for chopping onions. I always wanted one of those, and I was lucky enough to find one recently. I also found out that they were used for chopping nuts. Well, they do a great job at both!
Recipe: Mocha Butterscotch Cashew Cookies
- 3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons pure cane granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup pure cane brown sugar; firmly packed
- 2 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups All-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee (espresso recommended)
- 1 package butterscotch chips
- 1 cup cashews coarsely chopped
- Pre-heat the oven to 425.
- Have ready at least two cookie sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Put butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla and almond extract in a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed 3 to 4 minutes, or until well mixed.
- Sift together dry ingredients, including coffee and cocoa. Add flour mixture to butter mixture; mix well.
- Stir in butterscotch chips and cashews.
- Using a small ice cream scoop, size 24, drop the cookies on the prepared sheets. If you don’t have an ice cream scoop, drop by rounded tablespoons on the baking sheets.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until light golden brown. Do not over-bake.
- Transfer to wire rack to cool.
- Makes 4 dozen cookies.
Use a good instant coffee, like an instant espresso for the best flavor.
If you are allergic to nuts, omit them. If you are going to be giving cookies as a gift, please make sure they are labeled so those who are allergic can avoid them.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 4 dozen
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Pictures of the Finished Gifts
Copyright © The Good Plate.
Recipe by Adrienne Boswell.
Microformatting by hRecipe.