Again, just as on the 1st of the New Year, when I made Ascencia Salad, there was no guest chef, and The Good Plate again came to the rescue. When I looked for what was on hand, there was still a lot of pasta in the pantry, so I made my list to make Pasta Carbonara. I wanted everyone to have a well balanced meal, so the green choice was brocolli instead of salad.
Luckily, there were two large bags of French rolls, perfect for my Garlic Cheese Rolls. We also had a wonderful salad of peas, pepper jack and celery made by guest chef Jerome. A good and healthy time was had by all.
Recipe: Pasta Carbonara with Broccoli for 40
Summary: Make this classic dish for a large crowd
- 3 packages spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 2 lbs thick sliced bacon
- 1 container sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon cranberry juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 1 large package frozen brocolli
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 24 oz sour cream
- 2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons Garlic Cheese Spread
- Put a large pot of water on to boil, and add the salt.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Get a large sheet pan that has sides, and lay the bacon strips in it, trying not to overlap them. Put them in the oven and roast until they have crisped.
- Remove the bacon from the oven. Remove the strips to a cutting board. Reserve the fat. Cut the bacon into pieces into about 1 inch squares and reserve.
- In a saute pan, put the butter and olive oil. Melt it, and add the sliced garlic. Saute the garlic until it is translucent. Add the mushrooms, and let the start to brown, then add the cranberry juice, and let the mushrooms brown. Remove from the heat.
- Put the brocolli in the microwave, not removing it from the bag! Microwave on high for 6 minutes, then carefully open the bag, and drain. Add the brocolli to the mushroom mixture.
- By this time, the water should be boiling. Add the pasta to the water, and cook until it is al dente. Drain.
- In the bottom of the pot, put the reserved bacon fat. Warm it on a low flame. Add the sour cream, then stir in the egg. It should start thickening. Add the cheeses, and whisk briskly. Add the Garlic Cheese Spread, and mix thoroughly.
- Put the pasta into the pan, and add the brocolli mushroom mixture and the bacon. Toss completely.
- Turn the pasta into a large pasta bowl, and toss again.
- Serve with Garlic Cheese Rolls.
Use Shallots in Oil with butter instead of garlic and olive oil.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 40 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12
Culinary tradition: Italian
Copyright © The Good Plate.
Recipe by Adrienne Boswell.
Microformatting by hRecipe.