I have a very good friend who said to me once, “Does everything with you have to be gourmet?” and I said, nonplussed, “Yes!”. Why do you have to go to a restaurant when you can make gourmet food at home, for a fraction of the cost! I was reminded to this today when I started to make egg salad sandwiches for lunch, and decided to make this a Curried Egg Salad Sandwich.
Probably, one of the reasons I can do this is because I have a good pantry, a good spice rack, and I’m not afraid to try new foods. That means I usually have good curry powder in the spice rack, and Major Grey’s chutney in the refrigerator. I have to watch the chutney, though, because Spane likes to eat it by the spoonful, right out of the jar.
Recipe: Curried Egg Salad Open-Face Sandwiches
- 4 whole eggs
- 2 teaspoons Madras curry
- 2 tablespoon good mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped scallions
- 6 small slices sour dough bread
- 2 tablespoons Major Grey chutney
- Put the eggs in cold water and set on the stove. High on high and let them boil 4 minutes, then turn the heat off. Come back in 20 minutes,and the eggs will be done, without getting that ugly green stuff.
- Shell the eggs and put them into a mixing bowl. Use a potato masher to mash them pretty small.
- Add the mayonnaise, curry powder and scallions, and mix them all together.
- Spread about a teaspoon of chutney on each slice of bread.
- Divide the egg salad on top of each slice of bread.
You could add raisins, coconut and finely chopped apples if you wanted.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 3
Culinary tradition: Indian
Copyright © The Good Plate.
Recipe by Adrienne Boswell.
Microformatting by hRecipe.