You will want to use Panko bread crumbs, because they are large and very dry. Broken up bread will not absorb enough of the juices to make a nice top on this. Breadcrumbs that come in a can will not work either, as they are too small, and you would just have a cranberry pudding instead of a Brown Betty.
If you like to add things to your cranberry sauce, like pineapple or nuts, you could easily add them to this recipe as well.
Make this for your Holiday table and enjoy the smiles from guests. Enjoy!
[GAN_Image orientation="vertical" maxads="1" width="468" height="60" ifwidth="468" ifheight="63" target="new"]
Recipe: Cranberry Brown Betty
Summary: Enjoy this twist on the classic Apple Brown Betty
- 1 package Fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 cup Brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Ginger powdered
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 2 tablespoon Applesauce unsweetened, natural
- 8 ounces Panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup Brown sugar
- 1 cup Butter melted
- Rinse the berries in water and remove any that have gone bad.
- Put the berries in a non-reactive pot with the water and the cup of sugar. Bring to a boil, then add the ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg. Let boil until the cranberries have burst and are starting to make a sauce. Remove from the heat.
- Butter an iron skillet and put the cranberries in. Mix the applesauce into the cranberries.
- Put the breadcrumbs in a separate bowl and add the remaining brown sugar and add half of the butter. Mix pretty well, and add half of this mixture to the cranberries, and stir to combine.
- Some Panko breadcrumbs are drier than others. If yours are really, really dry you will need almost all the butter, if not, use less butter. Slowly add the butter to the remaining breadcrumbs, reserving about a tablespoon of butter. Put this mixture on top of the cranberry mixture, spreading it out evenly. Pour the remaining butter on top.
- Heat in a 350 oven for about 40 minutes.
You must use Panko breadcrumbs, regular breadcrumbs are too small, and breadcrumbs made at home will not be dry enough. You can get Panko breadcrumbs at your local supermarket, or your local Asian market.
Serve with creme fraiche, or ice cream.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: USA (Southern)
Copyright © The Good Plate – Adrienne Boswell.
Recipe by Adrienne Boswell.
Microformatting by hRecipe.