Recipes in this post
Even if a child does not like spicy food, presented with the prospect of pepperoni pizza (or pep-e-on-i as the toddler set says), a child happily stuff his or her face with it.
I like pizza, too, but some time ago, I decided that I did not like meat on pizza anymore. Margarita pizza is the one for me. I like to make my own, with a little help from Trader Joe’s (more on this later).
So, I wanted pizza, and I also wanted chicken, but I don’t want meat on my pizza. What to do, what to do? I know! Create Pizza Chicken!
This is basically fried chicken fingers with sauce, but I must say, it really fulfilled my desire for pizza.
[GAN_Image orientation=”horizontal” maxads=”1″ width=”468″ height=”60″ ifwidth=”468″ ifheight=”63″ target=”same”]
To make the sauce that goes with it, you will need to find Armenian Hot Pepper Sauce. If you live in Glendale, California, this is not an issue since there are Armenian stores every few blocks, but if you are not so fortunate, you can probably find Red Pepper Paste in Mediterranean stores. My favorite brand is Tukas, but Zergut is very good as well.
Recipe: Pizza Fried Chicken
Summary: Chicken Fingers for Kids of All Ages
– Coating –
- 1/4 cup Parmesan
- 1/2 cup Yellow Corn Meal
- 1/3 cup Flour
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Sea salt
- 1/2 tsp Poultry Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Pepper
– Chicken –
- 2 Chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup Milk
- Vegetable oil
– “Pizza Sauce” –
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Armenian Red Pepper Sauce
- Have ready two shallow bowls and a cooling rack.
- Combine dry ingredients thoroughly.
- Cut chicken into strips.
- Place milk in one of the bowl, and coating in the other.
- Dip each piece of chicken in milk, then in coating. Place on cake rack to dry before frying.
- Make sauce by placing garlic in a food processor and adding mayonnaise, tomato paste and red pepper sauce. Process to a smooth sauce and place in a serving dish.
- Heat oil to 350. Heat the Nesco to 200 or turn the oven on for five minutes then turn it off.
- Fry the chicken fingers in batches, leaving lots of room between pieces. Fry until the chicken is golden brown, turning once. Drain on a cake or cookie rack. Keep warm until all the pieces are cooked either in the preheated Nesco, or the preheated warm oven.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: Italian
Copyright © The Good Plate – Adrienne Boswell.
Recipe by Adrienne Boswell.
Microformatting by hRecipe.
Freshly baked cakes, cookies and breads cool uniformly on this rack, which is elevated to keep their undersides crisp.Commercial-quality chrome-plated-steel rack with closely set wires.Easily supports breads and cakes; prevents cookies from slipping through.Fits inside a standard half-sheet pan for glazing and finishing baked goods.Raised design lets air circulate underneath, keeping undersides crisp.